Subscribe on iTunes, SoundCloud, Google Play or Stitcher.
Support Sound Design Live on Patreon.
In this episode of Sound Design Live I talk with Chris Leonard who is Director of Audio at IMS Technology Services. We discuss his sound system design and mix for the largest public event ever in Philadelphia covering 1 mile for the Eagles Super Bowl Parade, dealing with wide dynamic energy coming through a podium mic, and how to build relationships and get more work with Project Managers.
Yes this is a large scale event, but you’re taking the principles you already know and scaling them up.Chris Leonard
- Hardware: VTX speakers, CL5, QL5, BSS BLU806, iTech amplifiers, SG300 switches, Rio rack
- Connect on LinkedIn.
- Show that you are actively working with your posts. Make them authentic about the level you’re working at, but focus on more of the work you want to be doing. How organized are you? What equipment are you using?
- Follow other freelancers and companies.
- Send your blackout dates (vs available) every 1-3 months.
- Make your emails personal and interesting.
- Expect a response to your availability updates.
- Email your availability updates more than once a month.
- Offer to travel if the request is for someone local.
- The city learned their lesson and got it right this time.
- With Dante over CAT5 you don’t want to go beyond 300ft, but with fiber I can go for miles.
- I heavily use LinkedIn.
- I need people who can be an A1 for a massive show and some that can be basic breakout AV tech.