Don’t have time for a sound check?
Aleš just posted a video explaining his method for quick monitor mixes on a digital console. Once you have the main channel set, the faders will be your visual guide.
Let’s do the mix for the lead vocal:
- Set input gains on all channels
- Sends on fader
- Set the vocal send to 0dB
- Bring up the send master to a comfortable level
- Set backing vocals at -5dB and harmony instruments at -8dB. Continuing adding other channels the vocalist might need using the faders as your visual guide.
- Repeat for all monitor sends
Bjorn Winnem says
In “the old days” This method was 9/12/15 o’clock on everything and then gain/master to get the good level. Remove anything they don’t want.
Hello Nathan and Happy New Year.l listened to the Podcast Behind the Mixer with Chris Huff and l really learnt a lot from your Podcast.l want to learn more from you Sir.l am Ojay and l am an Audio Engineer from Nigeria.