The phase relationship is the wild variable: The one we must tame to make the summation junction function.
History of Mainland and Subterra
Throughout recorded history, the peoples of Mainland and Subterra have lived in harmony with one another. Though located on opposite poles of the planet Boh, each nation boasts ample quantities of Magnitude, the most valuable element found on Boh.
Though distant from each other, the two nations are connected by a thin but continuous land bridge that crosses the Sea of Spektral Xovr between them. This bridge has held solid for centuries. Forged from a perfect match of Magnitude and Phase, the bridge is a lifeline between the nations, allowing for commerce, diplomacy, and free passage between the two. The bridge is the key to Boh’s long-term success, and stability is particularly vital in the crossover region.
Vital Element: Magnitude
Infinite varieties of Magnitude exist. Mainland produces those varieties with high-frequency (HF) vibrations and Subterra produces those with low-frequency (LF) vibrations. Both develop into stable forms of Magnitude with specific qualities of coherence and phase. Scientists on Mainland and Subterra use delay and polarity (among other tools) to further refine the stable form of Magnitude into the structures of their productive societies. Without both HF and LF, life as we know it would not exist on Boh.
In B992, a team of Dissonance from the planet Ekoeko arrived secretly on Boh. Faced with the environmental destruction of their own planet and seeking to colonize a new planet rich in Magnitude, the government of Ekoeko determined that the best way to overpower Boh would be to destroy the bridge connecting Mainland and Subterra. With advanced weapons of Displacement and Asymmetry their fighters began an unprovoked attack on the bridge that is still ongoing.
Boh has but one hope for all the peoples of Mainland and Subterra–to repair the bridge and restore harmony. To accomplish this, your primary objective is to rehabilitate coupling through the acoustic crossover region. If coupling cannot be maintained Magnitude relationships must reach isolation as quickly as possible before causing instability. Combing and Transition, having the greatest potential for cancellation are to be minimized throughout the region.*
Both nations send their best and brightest here, to the Phase Alignment Science Academy (PASA), to learn to manipulate and control our most powerful elements so that we may build a bridge that is strong enough to withstand any assault. During your time at the Academy, your job will be to master the properties of our precious elements and fight back against the Dissonance.
During your training, you will advance through the ranks of PASA before earning the rank of Master of Alignment. You will prove yourself at each level by earning experience points for every successful alignment you perform that leads to the restoration of a section of our bridge. The Academy’s Simulator will provide you with test missions in which to increase and demonstrate your skills before you are deployed into the field. Should you advance far enough, you may also choose to train as a Scout, using your skills to identify and anticipate potential threats and destroy them before they can do us harm.
Intern: we welcome you to the Academy. Together we will defeat the Dissonance of Ekoeko and enjoy harmony in Boh once more.
*Consult your handbook’s Definition of Terms.
Definition of terms
- Acoustic crossover region: The location where two separate sound sources combine together at equal level.
- Asymmetry: Lack of equal response characteristics.
- Coherence: Signal to noise ratio.
- Combing: Magnitude relationship of 0-4dB with maximum risk of cancellation.
- Coupling: Phase offset <120º preventing cancellation.
- Displacement: Distance between two sound sources.
- Frequency: Cycles per second in Hertz (Hz).
- Isolation: Magnitude relationship >10dB with low risk of cancellation.
- Magnitude: Level component of the audio waveform expressed in dB. Also a vital element in the nations of Mainland and Subterra.
- Mainland: A nation on Boh located across the Sea of Spektral Xovr from Subterra producing high-frequency varieties of Magnitude.
- Phase: The relationship in time between cycles of a wave. The radial component of the audio waveform expressed in degrees.
- Subterra: A nation on Boh located across the Sea of Spektral Xovr from Mainland producing low-frequency varieties of Magnitude.
- Transition: Magnitude relationship of 4-10dB with medium risk of cancellation.