Subscribe on iTunes or SoundCloud.
In this fourth episode of Sound Design Live I talk to Pierre Dupree, the audio supervisor at The Alley Theatre in Houston, TX, about where to go to graduate school, the dying art of theatrical acting, and how they successfully mic their 800 seat theatre with floor mics. Sorry about the sound quality, this is my first interview using Skype!
- Schools: University Of Dallas, Cal Art
- Theatre: The Pasadena Playhouse
- Mics: PCC, Choir, Super cardioid lavalier
- Speakers: CQ1, CQ2, JF80
- Software: Vectorworks, Qlab
- Terminology: “exploded center” = uncoupled point source array
- Forums: Theatre Sound, Qlab, TapeOp Magazine
[…] For corporate audio this usually means teaching your presenter how to handle the mic. For theatre this means adjusting headworn capsule placement. I have seen sound designers successfully mic a play without headworn microphones, but it’s tricky (see How To Mic An 800 Seat Theatre With Floor Mics). […]