Subscribe on iTunes, SoundCloud, Google Play or Stitcher.
Support Sound Design Live on Patreon.
In this episode of Sound Design Live, I speak with the inventor of the automatic microphone mixer and CEO at Dan Dugan Sound Design, Dan Dugan. We discuss the origin of the automatic microphone mixer, implementation and best practices, and his favorite locations for soundscape recording. I ask:
- What are some of the biggest mistakes you see people making who are new to using the automatic microphone mixer?
- Tell me about your field recording rig.
- What has been your favorite location to record so far?
- What is one book that has been immensely helpful to you?
- What podcast do you love?
- 1- I have heard of people saying that it’s applied to music… Why? How?
- 2- speaking technically, would like an explanation of how it works, not how it’s applied, but of how it works technically… Like what it really does to the the sound that I am applying it to
- Ask Mr. Dugan about non Dugan branded auto mixers. Im sure he isn’t happy about them but does he feel Dugan branded stuff is better.
Gating doesn’t work. I spent about 6 years figuring out a better gating system and discovered the magical system called gain sharing.
- All field recordings used in this episode by Dan Dugan.
- Dan’s field recording rig:
- Sound System Engineering, Lang Elliott’s Listening Earth podcast
- Public domain patents for the Dugan Automixer