Subscribe on iTunes or SoundCloud.
Support Sound Design Live on Patreon.
In this episode of Sound Design Live, I speak with writer, educator, and AV integrator Josh Srago. Srago has worked in recording, broadcast, television, concert sound, corporate events, and AV integration. In our interview he claims that having no specific focus was the best career choice he ever made, and walks me through the life cycle of an AV integration project. Srago also talks about the value of a CTS certification from InfoComm, and explains to me why VGA is still so popular in corporate events. Make sure you stick around through the end when we go head to head on the question: What is the real goal of sound system measurement?
Details from the podcast:
- All music in this episode by Josh Srago and Munch Is Missing
- Check out Srago’s course Audio DSP Fundamentals at InfoComm on Thursday at 10:30am.
- Srago’s article: Have you measured your room recently?
- San Francisco State University, Ex’pression College, Full Sail
- JK Sound, TOA, Integrated Communications Systems
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Union
- InfoCOMM, CES, CEDIA
- CTS = Certified Technical Specialist
- AVB, AVnu Alliance
- VGA, 5-wire (aka 5-BNC), HDMI, Thunderbolt, Display port, Mini display port
- My interview with Dave Swallow
“The best decision I ever made in my career, period, was to not have a specific focus.”
“I didn’t like studios. I didn’t like sitting there tuning a tom drum for 45 minutes. It drove me nuts.”
The life cycle of an AV integration project
- Construction company.
- Needs Analysis
- Responsible: Presales Engineer, Project Manager, Independent Consultant.
- Responsible: Project manager, Presales engineer.
- Check equipment model number and prepare bid.
- Public: Lowest bid wins.
- Private: Interview process to defend design.
- Equipment purchase
- Collaborate with electrical contractor and head of IT for power and network connections.
- Collaborate with general contractor for aesthetic goals.
- Collaborate with furniture manufacturer for equipment integration.
- Union may handle all of this.
- Equipment functionality based on needs analysis.
- Consultant returns for final checklist.